Paved Shoulder & Kerb

Hi There,

When coding ‘Paved Shoulder’ with SO type Kerb (see example below), where do you consider the width of the paved shoulder to end?

I have heard mixed reviews with some ending it as the middle of the Kerb, the end of the kerb or at the end of the seal. The Coding manual does not detail what the approach is in this situation.

Would appreciate any perspectives here.

Hi, this is just my opinion.

When I have special cases like these, I first consider What does an element exist for?. The shoulders on the roads are for pedestrian traffic (when there are no sidewalks) and for damaged vehicles to park on the side of the road.

In this sense, if the Kerb interferes with one of these purposes, it should only be coded up to the point where the ditch begins. On the other hand, if it does not affect any purpose, I think that it could be codified until the end of the Kerb.

In this case, also consider whether the small poles do not prevent vehicle access beyond the paved shoulder and also that when the ditch has water, pedestrians will not be able to circulate through it (although in this case there is space on the right side).

Regards.

1 Like