What off-the-shelf cameras can I use for surveys?

Can I use an off-the-shelf camera to perform iRAP survey assignment for accreditation? Does it need to be an accredited inspection system?

I use a Garmin VIRB X with a suction cup mounting system high up in the inside windscreen (near the rear view mirror). That works very well and gives a good, clear, wide view image for coding. It complies with all the minimum requirements specified in the iRAP Survey Manual like resolution of 1280 X 960 pixels, 140 degree field of view and collects accurate GPS data. The distance (0.1km , 0.2km, 0.3km etc) can be overlayed in play back mode which is really useful when coding so we know where the next 100m segment starts and stops. It can also record speed, grade, altitude, gps coordinates and bearing. It is not an accredited inspection system but it can be used for road survey activity accreditation and iRAP surveys.

1 Like

I’ve used a Sony FDR X-3000 quite often, works well.

1 Like

I use a GoPro Hero 5 Black with a suction cup mounting system that I use either in the top of the car or inside the windshield. It’s configured with video resolution of 1080p, screen resolution 1920x1080, aspect ratio 16:9 and field of view wide. Need’s some processing with the video file to extract all the information, but works well.

1 Like